- Omega Psi Phi Credit Union – Lawrenceville, Georgia
- Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union – Washington, DC
- One United Bank – Los Angeles, California
- FAMU Federal Credit Union – Tallahassee, Florida
- Credit Union of Atlanta – Atlanta, Georgia
- North Milwaukee State Bank – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Seaway Bank – Chicago, Illinois
- The Harbor Bank- Baltimore, Maryland
- Liberty Bank – New Orleans, Louisiana
- United Bank of Philadelphia – Philadelphia, Penn
- Alamerica Bank – Birmingham, Alabama
- Broadway Federal Bank – Los Angeles, California
- Carver State Bank – Savannah, Georgia
- Capital City Bank – Atlanta, Georgia
- Citizens Trust Bank – Atlanta, Georgia
- City National Bank – Newark, New Jersey
- Commonwealth National Bank – Mobile, Alabama
- Industrial Bank – Washington D.C.
- First Tuskegee Bank – Tuskegee, Alabama
- Mechanics & Farmers Bank – Durham, North Carolina
- First Independence Bank – Detroit, Michigan
- First State Bank – Danville, Virginia
- Illinois Service Federal – Chicago, Illinois
- Unity National Bank – Houston, Texas
- Carver Federal Savings Bank – New York, New York
- OneUnited Bank – Miami, Florida
- OneUnited Bank – Boston, Massachusetts
- Tri-State Bank – Memphis, Tennessee
- Citizens Bank – Nashville, Tennessee
- South Carolina Community Bank – Columbia, South Carolina
- Columbia Savings and Loan – Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Liberty Bank – Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- Liberty Bank – Kansas City, Missouri
- Citizen Trust Bank – Birmingham, Alabama
- Liberty Bank – Chicago, Illinois
- Liberty Bank – Jackson, Mississippi
- Toledo Urban Credit Union – Toledo, Ohio
- Hill District Credit Union – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Rediscovery of The Melaninated Circle
By Mz. Traci
(Pictures are taken from the internet and are not personal property of Mz. Traci)
To buy and barter within your circle is to build your circle. This strengthens your circle. You begin to create an unbreakable circle that will allow you and those within your circle to not seek help or guidance outside your circle, that may cause destruction of the circle.
The Melaninated Circle is a community of brown to black pigment skinned cultured people. Originating from the melanin definition meaning a dark brown to black pigment occurring in the hair, skin, and iris of the eye in people. Creating a circle of people in a given culture that will build a unity of people.
This is necessary to get the black community back to the basics of depending on ourselves and not others. This is needed to uplift and build us stronger as a people. Many of our ancestors were forced to America. Once they were here they were brutally mistreated. We then transitioned from one phase to another trying to gain our independence. Independence to be freed from those that control our every fate. In my opinion we have lost that.
My mother’s mother died when my mother was at pre-school age. It was her grandmother that showed her what family is. From my mother and her sisters I have myself learned about this unity, from being a part of this close knit family. One of the most important things that I remember my mother telling me about my great grandmother was that if one person in the family needed anything and another person in the family had multiples then she made sure that no one was without. I reflect this on the buy and barter algorithm. With this system she created a strength within her family that carries on to those that have never personally met her. This is a prime example of building strength in a circle. Should we lean on and barter and buy with others outside of us a leak will occur that will weaken us. This is why returning back to depending on ourselves and not others is necessary and overdue.
Where this Melaninated Circle exist is within all black communities. It is a circle that can be connected with those blacks who are in conjunction with gaining our strength back and passing it to our children. The time is now. There is no need to wait any longer because we are already behind. How we begin is buying black. Supporting our own people who are selling products and services.
I am learning more about things like there are 38 Black owned banks and credit unions not too long ago there were only 21. The ones that I found name from, “Watch the Yard” (https://watchtheyard.com/life/black-owned-banks/ ), and they are…
The Melanated Circle is the circle that was established by those whose shoulders we stand upon. Strengthening what they were forced to have (as far as only allowed to mingle amongst themselves) between them, is necessary. Getting the black community back to the basics of depending on ourselves and not others is a priority. The black community needs to uplifted and empowered. We all we got!!!